Having more candles on your birthday cake doesn’t have to mean having fewer teeth in your mouth. Though it’s commonly believed that you’ll have to lose your teeth as you age, it’s simply not true. There are some things you can do to maintain excellent oral hygiene and decrease the need for dentures.
Five Tips for Better Oral Health
1. Brush twice a day for two minutes. Be sure to use a soft bristle toothbrush as hard bristles can be tough on the enamel of your teeth. An electric toothbrush is another option that can make brushing easier.
2. Floss at least once a day to remove plaque and food particles from those hard-to-reach spots between your teeth.
3. Drink plenty of water each day to help wash away bacteria that can cause tooth decay. Tap water contains fluoride that can help prevent decay. Increasing saliva production to avoid dry mouth is another reason to drink water. Certain medications and diseases can affect how much saliva your mouth produces.
4. Kick the habit. If you’re a smoker, quitting not only can reduce your risk for heart disease and lung cancer, but it may help keep gum disease and tooth decay at bay, not to mention tooth loss.
5. Schedule regular dental checkups to ensure your teeth and gums are in tip-top shape.
Whether you’re 62, 102, or somewhere in between, you can enjoy excellent oral health by committing to healthy oral hygiene habits. Give Pennant hills dentist a call today to book your next appointment!