Have You Had Dental Implants Fitted? Here’s How To Look After Them
If you have successfully completed a Dental Implants procedure, that is not the end of the treatment. Aftercare of your implant is essential to ensure that your implant lasts for as long as possible. With proper home care and maintenance support from your dentist, your new teeth could last a lifetime. Ultimately, this depends on you, your habits and your hygiene.
Therefore, let’s provide the top oral hygiene tips you must adhere to immediately after a dental implant procedure.
- Regular Brushing and Flossing – A basic but fundamental requirement throughout life is to brush and floss twice a day. It is recommended that you initially use a soft bristle toothbrush or a suited dental implant toothbrush so that all hidden areas around your tooth can be cleaned. The surface of your implant must be brushed softly to remove any plaque. Flossing also removes plaque stuck between your teeth but must be done gently to avoid tooth or gum damage.
- Change diet and avoid sticky or hard foods – Hard foods significantly damage your implants and make your structure weaker, meaning further expensive treatment. For sustained results, a change to your diet is crucial.
Some solid foods to avoid include:
- Dried Fruit
- Hard Nuts
- Chewy Treats
Begin to incorporate the following in your diet:
- Soft Dairy
- Reduce or Eliminate Smoking and Alcohol Intake – Although this may be initially difficult, you will reap the rewards of long-lasting results of your implant, meaning that you can smile confidently forever! Smoking reduces blood supply to gums and teeth, whereas alcohol reduces the healing process. Until at least 6 months pass, we recommend limiting your smoking and alcohol intake considerably.
- Regularly visit your dentist – You want to be sure that you’re looking after your implants correctly. It is recommended that you visit your dentist every 6 months. This will help maintain your oral hygiene and ensure your implants are still as good as new.
- Use Oral Irrigators – Oral Irrigators help reduce plaque around implants. They are safe, effective and reduce the risk of gingivitis.
Have you heard about the common misconceptions about dental implants? Click here to read on the common myths and facts about dental implants!
Any post-treatment pain you experience is curable by drinking hot salt and mouthwash once your implants are fitted. After eating, rinse your mouth with lukewarm water. This keeps the surface area of your implants clean. Implants are only long-lasting if you look after them. Dentists will provide you with all the advice you need to care for your implants. Follow these tips and smile confidently for years to come!
Do you need assistance in your fitted dental implants? Click here to contact Hills Dental Group so we can help you!